Rangers Stun #17 Fort Lewis in 80-77 Win; First Win Over a Ranked Team in Over a Decade

Rangers Stun #17 Fort Lewis in 80-77 Win; First Win Over a Ranked Team in Over a Decade

Durango, Colo.: A tale of two nights occurred at Whalen Gymnasium on Saturday night.  A night after losing to Adams State by 36 points by Regis and a win over #1 Metro State by Fort Lewis one would have thought this would have been a no-brainer.

However, Regis (8-15, 7-13 RMAC) would show Fort Lewis (18-4, 15-4 RMAC) that there is no easy night in the RMAC by taking down the Skyhawks 80-77.  Fort Lewis held the lead the entire first half, but just when it looked like FLC would run away with it, the resilient Rangers showed their moxy.

Regis cut the lead to three points, 20-17 with 8:54 left when the Skyhawks stretched it to an eight-point lead.  Head Coach Lonnie Porter called a timeout, and it worked; sophomore Dylan King, who tied for the team lead with 20 points, hit a three-pointer on the next series to cut it to five.  

FLC put it back to nine with 5:39 left in the first half but Regis kept chipping away at the lead and cut it to just one, following a jumper by junior Jon Conley, with just over a minute left in the half.

Regis took their first lead of the game when freshman Kevin Marshall, who also tallied 20 points, hit a layup with 15:39 left in the game.  FLC tied it up on the very next series, but another three from King, one of his five, put Regis up three and up for good.  The lead grew to as many as eight points however a late rally by the home team put the win in jeopardy.

Regis led by seven, 74-67 with just under three minutes left when Fort Lewis scored the next seven points to tie the game at 74 with 1:30 left.  The play of the game came from King when he hit a three pointer and was fouled completing the old-fashioned four-point play to put Regis ahead 78-74 with 56 seconds left.

The Skyhawks cut the lead to one, 78-77, with just nine seconds left, but the nail was put in the coffin when Marshall connected on two free throws with seven seconds left.  Marcus Ayala got a three-point attempt up just before the buzzer but was unsuccessful giving Regis the 80-77 win.

Junior Jarrett Green joined King and Marshall in double figures with 17 points, while senior Demitrius Owens had a double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds.  Marshall dished out a game-high six assists.

Regis turned the ball over just eight times and outscored the Skyhawks 24-8 at the free throw line.

Regis will return home for the final weekend of the RMAC regular season by hosting UC-Colorado Springs and CSU-Pueblo.